Guys, it’s been awhile. Let me fill you in on some things.
1. It’s the dead of winter and everyone, even my two cats, is feeling it. I miss my patio, the garden, candles outside, fresh pesto, my jeans with a huge hole in the knee and having people over. Yes, I’m going to say it. I miss the … humidity.
2. The garden is completely out of shape, and my dream of having lots of house plants never came to fruition. Since I live in a basement, I have only one window that gets any sunlight, and the cats have claimed it as their own territory.
This makes having house plants difficult. My lovely friend Janie started an African Violet for me, and it’s doing alright so far on top of the fridge. It will eventually need sun to grow and bloom, so I need to devise a way to protect it from felines on the window sill. The baby aloe vera that I took from my mom when I was home for Thanksgiving has died. I suspect the cats used it in one of their crazy card games.
3. In the spirit of not using or ingesting anything with hard-to-pronounce ingredients, I’ve started washing my hair with baking soda and rinsing it with apple cider vinegar as conditioner. I read an article about it online (seems like that’s all I do these days). It seems to be working just as well as my organic shampoo. And this method incorporates just two ingredients.
I put these two things in my body anyway through food and baked goods and what not, so I figure it’s a little better than even the most natural of store-bought shampoos.
4. I’ve started planning my garden for this spring. My two main goals?
And to grow everything for this
Oh and also I would like to create a space for a beet patch because I now have my grandma’s recipe for pickled beets. No pressure canner needed.
5. I’ve been using my dried and frozen herbs whenever possible for winter cooking. Here are some examples:
Here are two more photos of my winter season.